Skip to main content
ROTC alumns posing with Reggie

New and Returning Students

Thinking of attending Illinois State University?

  • Contact Admissions

The Admissions Office is your first point of contact.

To learn more about the university, take a virtual tour, or schedule a campus visit, contact Admissions at or (309) 438-2181.

For more information, view the Admissions website.

  • Apply now!

Apply up to one year in advance.

To complete the application process, you will need to submit a $55 non-refundable application fee, supply us with official transcripts for all post-secondary work, and provide the Member 4 copy of your DD-214.
The application fee is waived for Veterans and Guard/Reserves.

If you have earned fewer than 24 transferable credit hours after high school, you will also need to submit an official high school transcript or GED score, and if you are under 21 years old. ACT and SAT scores are now optional, but some selective-admissions programs may require test scores for direct entry.

  • Submit your Transcripts

Forward all transcripts from previous colleges and military training for review.

Submit any military transcripts to the university for evaluation. Military technical training earns course credit in many cases. Veterans may find their military transcripts on the Joint Services Transcript website.

Transcripts should be sent to:

Office of Admissions
Illinois State University
Campus Box 2202
Normal, IL 61790-2200

Send electronic transcripts to:

*The school where transfer credit was earned should submit electronic transcripts to Illinois State directly. Illinois State will not accept transcripts forwarded by the student.

  • Submit your DD-214

Submit your DD-214.

A veteran who completed one year of active duty and earned an honorable discharge will receive 6 credit hours for physical education requirements. A student can earn 6 hours of transfer credit for a year or more of cumulative active duty, or 4 hours for less than a year. These credits do not meet the Gen Ed requirement.

  • You can obtain a copy of your military records, including a DD-214 on the milConnect website.
  • Sing in with your CAC (we have CAC readers at Veterans Services) or your DoD Self Service Login.
  • Hover over the "Manage" tab and select "Documents and Records".
  • Select "Military Personnel File".
  • You must first "Request your OMPF Information". The information will be available within 24 hours.
  • Benefit Application Pages

Accreditations and Affiliations

      • College factual Logo  
      • Support Logo
      • MF 23