Skip to main content
Students and counselor

GI Bill®/ VA Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

In order to utilize Federal VA education benefits, the first step is to apply online. Once there, information is available to make an informed decision on which GI Bill chapter(s) you may be eligible for and documents needed for your application. Detailed information can be found on the GI Bill website with this chapter comparison chart, but following are brief descriptions regarding the available GI Bill chapters:

The school must certify your enrollment each semester before benefit payments are released. To that end, we ask students to complete the Request for Benefits Form AFTER they've registered for classes. Once registered, please complete the form and read and sign page 2. If you have further questions or concerns regarding your benefits, please contact

  • Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty

Chapter 30

Persons who entered active duty on or after July 1, 1985. As service members, they must have had their military pay reduced by a non-refundable $100 per month contribution for 12 months to qualify for this program. Additionally, these persons must have served a minimum of two years, earned a high school diploma or its equivalent (either prior to or during the qualifying enlistment), and must have received an honorable discharge.

Note: Other special categories may apply.

  • Veterans Readiness and Employment Program

Chapter 31

Eligibility for this program is determined by the VA (based on service-connected disability) and provides payment of tuition, fees, books, and a monthly subsistence allowance.

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill

Chapter 33

Persons who served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, who are still on active duty or were honorably discharged from active duty, may be eligible for benefits. Benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. Based on the length of active duty service, you are entitled to a percentage of the cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution (paid to school); monthly housing allowance* (equal to BAH for the pay rate of E-5 with dependents in same zip code as the institution) (paid to you); and a yearly book and supplies stipend up to $1000 per year (paid to you).

* The housing allowance is not payable to those pursuing training at half time or less.

  • Survivors & Dependents Educational Assistance

Chapter 35

This program provides benefits for dependents (spouses and children) of Veterans who are deceased or are 100% disabled due to service-connected causes.

  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve

Chapter 1606 (including 1606 Kickers)

This program provides benefits for current members of the Reserves and National Guard who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended their enlistment for a period of six years after July 1, 1985.